Submitting Your Web site to DMOZ
Add URL to DMOZ
DMOZ (also known as the Open Directory Project), as shown in Figure 3.10, is important because AOL Search, Alta Vista, HotBot, Lycos, and Netscape Search all increase the ranking of your site if they are listed there. Follow these rules and instructions for submitting your site there:
- Go to http://www.dmoz.org
- First find the category that best fits your web site.
- Choose “Suggest URL” in the top right corner. If it is not available it means that there are more subcategories and you need to drill down and choose the one that best fits your business.
- Add the Site URL, title and description as shown below. Then select submit at the bottom of the page.
DMOZ has certain rules to follow, as seen on their web site:
- Do not add mirror sites.
- Do not submit an URL that contains only the same or similar content as other sites you may have listed in the directory.
- Multiple submission of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.
- Do not disguise your submission and submit the same URL more than once.
Example: http://dmoz.org and http://www.dmoz.org/index.html
- Do not submit any site with an address that redirects to another address.
- The Open Directory has a policy against the inclusion of sites with illegal content. Example all illegal material include child pornography; libel; material that infringes any intellectual property right; and material that specifically advocates, solicits or abets illegal activity (such as fraud or violence).
- Do not submit sites “Under construction”.
- Submit Pornographic sites to the appropriate category under Adult.
- Submit non- English sites to the appropriate category under World.
- Don’t submit sites consisting largely of affiliate links.
Need More Help? Watch This Video
NOTE: Violating any of these rules can get your URL removed or not listed at all.